1.15.2008

I'd Like to Introduce You to a Man...

Why are there so many people in this world who absolutely hate their job? If you're like me and you can relate to that, I'd like to introduce you to a man. His name is David.

David is not your average guy. He acts a little different than "normal people" (whatever normal is). He talks really slow and he says the same thing over and over again. But there's something special about David. Something unique. Something beautiful.

Years ago, David was hit by a car and he's never been the same since. Most people would become bitter, angry, or senile. But not David. He's not your average guy. Everyday he walks around greeting everyone with a smile and a loud "Good morning!! How are you? This is a beautiful day..." even if it's been raining outside, with freezing winds, he still says the same thing. This is a beautiful day.

I know David because he's the guy who puts the grocery store carts away at Landis Supermarket. He's been pushing carts for over 16 years. And he still loves his job. 16 years. Pushing carts. This guy deserves some kind of persistence award.

I know what you're thinking. Listen Kyle, you don't know what I put up with at work. This guy Brian always annoys me or I have the most boring job you could imagine. Fair enough, I don't know where you work. But I know what David does everyday. For 8 hours. Rain or shine. Wind or snow. He pushes carts, but not only does he push carts...he loves it.

My favorite thing about David is not that he's so positive and upbeat, but that he's actually sincere. I think our world is missing sincerity and when we actually see it, we cling to it. I think that's why I love David. I think that's why everyone loves David. His happiness is genuine and everyone knows it. I've heard countless people say, "I wish I was more like him. He's just so positive." Yeah, believe me. I know, I wish I was too.

And then one day it hit me right in the face. It was kinda cold in our office and all of us were complaining about how uncomfortable it was. I was ready to call the CEO of univest and tell him he better stop being so freakin cheap and turn on the damn heat. Maybe not using those exact words, but you get the idea. And then David came inside after pushing carts for a few hours. His face was red, he was breathing kinda heavy, and he was all bundled up with 6 layers. I said, "David! How in the world can you stand the weather outside? I'm cold in here!" and with a smile he looked at me and said, "It's not cold if your dressed for it!"
It was that exact moment I realized God was trying to teach me a lesson.

What if we actually embraced the idea of finding the beauty in whatever comes our way? How would our world look different if we did? How would we look different if we did?

I love when God uses unexpected people to teach us such profound truths. Thank you God, for creating people like David.

I need to end this post with something my mom used to tell me. "Make sure you see the beauty in life. No one can see it for you." Thanks mom.
Being thankful. KL.

No comments: