2.11.2009

My First Love

I've been in love with the game of baseball since I was 4 years old. I've been to hundreds of baseball games and I will always feel a child-like giddiness when I go to a Phillies game, just like I did the first time I stepped into Veterans Stadium. Even to this day when I go to a Phillies games, I call my dad when someone hits a home run and we talk about how timeless the game of baseball is to us. It's a real father-son thing.

After you've played baseball (or any sport for that matter) you begin to understand the intricacies of the game, and you appreciate those who respect the game the way you do. You appreciate the "little" things in the game, which you later find out aren't so little at all.

I have a deep love and respect for the game of baseball - and I expect those who are playing the game to share my sentiment. This is the major reason why I'm so bothered by the "steroid era" - it devalues the nature of the game, those who have gone before us in the game, and those who are currently playing without the assistance of muscle enhancers.

When is enough going to be enough? Alex Rodriguez, one of the most productive players in the game, recently addmitted to using some sort of "illegal substance" but he said he didn't know exactly what it was. Really A-Rod? You signed a $252 million, 10 year deal and you don't know what you're putting in your body?

While I don't believe everything he said in the interview with ESPN, I will allow him this: he "manned" up, which is more than I can say about the other 103 players on the list who tested positive in 2003. He admitted he was naive, stupid, and irresponsible - I can respect that.

Here's an idea for Bud Selig, the man who always seems to be in the middle of controversy (he's really lucky the Phillies won part 2 of the rain delay in the World Series because if they lost and had to go back to Tampa, Philly fans would've treated him much worse than they treated Santa Clause).

Back to my idea - starting today, right now, every player in major league baseball should be required to take a drug test and they should have random tests throughout the season. No secrets, no hidden names, no bullshit. That's how corporate America works, why isn't it the way baseball works? Bud can say he wants this to end, but talk is really cheap. If he seriously wants it to come to an "end", he needs to start acting like it. Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Selig.

One more question - if Alex Rodriguez and the other 103 players tested positive in 2003, why is this finally coming out in 2009? Did it really lay low for almost 6 years? How? Why? And who are the other 103 players? Major League Baseball, I need answers...

There are too many true fans (including myself) who love the game too much to settle for silence any longer.
And now I feel much better.

KL

No comments: