2.06.2009

Barriers


I am amazed that our life experiences affect us as much as they do, both positively and negatively. I'm equally amazed at the similarities I've seen in men who grew up during my grandfather's generation. I struggle with this because I never fought in Korea. I never walked into a bathroom that said "Whites Only". I wasn't around for the Great Depression, where thousands of families stood in line for food stamps - just to get by.
I haven't seen what they've seen. But I have seen the ugliness, ignorance, and arrogance of racial prejudice - and it's about time we do something about it.
Last night, I saw something that I hope will ignite an entire generation to release the cruel stereotypes, the name-calling, and the deep hatred based on exteriors. I saw a man let go of that hatred and welcome the uncomfortable, the unique, the foreign. I saw a man open his mind and his heart, which are equally important.
I saw Gran Torino - and it was definitely a movie you should see.

The inflexible, iron-willed, war veteran named Walt Kowalski, moves into a new neighborhood with people who are very different from him. They are from southeast Asia, which abruptly reminds him of his days fighting in the Korean War. He lives in a changing world where boys no longer respect their elders the way he did when he was young. He feels his grip on the world will never be the same and he's absolutely miserable about it. He drives an old Ford truck and despises the fact that his son sells cars made in Japan. The viewer can sense his opinions, judgments, and belief systems before he even opens his mouth.

However, after a series of events, he meets the family next door and slowly (very, very slowly) begins to see that they are beautiful people. Initially he wants nothing to do with them but over time you can see his attitude changes. He spends time with Thao (who he mockingly calls Toad) and a very sweet girl named Sue.

Without telling you more and undoubtedly ruin it, I'm just going to encourage you to see it - but more importantly, think about the people in your life who appear to have nothing in common with you (on the outside) and be open to discover what you might have in common with them (on the inside).

Stay progressive, open-minded, and positive.

KL

No comments: