12.17.2008

I Don't Know, What I Don't Know

Most of us go through this phase - this phase of fearlessness, invinsibility, and even borderline ignorance. It's part of being a boy (on the inside) and being a man (on the outside). It's part of sometimes acting like I'm 21 and othertimes acting like I'm 26. I'm learning the difference is simple: patience.

I'm turning 24 this New Year's Eve and it's really exciting. The other night around the dinner table, my mom asked me, "Are you happy with where you are at 24 years old?" Great question mom. Part of me is content with today, the majority of me wants so much more for tomorrow. I know I can't wait for what 2009 holds in store.

Lately I've been walking through this stage of not knowing what I don't know, let me explain:

I can make it on my own, I can finish grad school, I can complete a triathlon, I can do doughnuts in the snow and still be in control, I can do whatever the hell I want - mixed with some sass.

Or can I?

I'm learning that the 20's are all about figuring out who you are and who your friends are. Most people think it's all about finding your career and perhaps that's part of it. But I think it's more about the discovery of self.

I'm learning to embrace the fact that I don't know what I don't know - and that there's positivism that comes with that (persistence) and negativity that comes with that (arrogance).

It's all about pursuing balance. Take care of one another,

KL.

No comments: