9.06.2008

Think "Small" and "Big" Things Result

Have you ever just wanted to get through a certain season of your life to move on to the next phase of your life?

I know I have but I'm learning a big lesson in thinking small, and expecting big.

This weekend, the Phillies will show us what they're really made of. They have a 3 game series with the Mets, who currently lead in the National League East standings by 2 games, after the Phils shut-out the Mets last night 3-0.

But I'd like to talk about something that happened before the opening game of the series. Mike Schmidt, a Hall of Famer, who played on the 1980 team that won the World Series, wrote an email to the entire Phillies team that read:

"Guys, one pitch, one at-bat, one play, one situation, think 'small' and 'big' things result. Tough at-bats, stay up the middle with men on base, whatever it takes to keep the line moving. Hot offense. 27 outs on defense. The Mets know you're better than they are. They remember last year. You guys are never out of the game. Welcome the challenge that confronts you this weekend. You guys are the best. Good luck, #20."

Not only is this message athletically sound, but also theoretically sound. Think "small" and "big" things result. Take one day at a time. Stay tough, remember what you've done in the past but know that this is a new season full of new opportunities. Welcome a challenge. Never give up, you're never out of the "game."

Many of us (me included) want our liabilities to disappear tonight. We want to wake up to the world we always dreamed of when we were children - and after coming full circle with it all (hope---> disappointment---> hope - and always concluding with hope) I've learned to never let the disappointment take away the hope. Never, never, never.

After reading Schmidt's message, I was not only inspired as a Phillies fan but also as a 23 year old trying to find his way in this crazy world. I'm planning on going back to school and I've never been more excited about my future than I am right now. I need to take one day at a time and realize that someday, I'll find a job that I have a deep passion for.

But in the meanwhile, I'm going to think "small" and expect big. KL.

No comments: