1.22.2009

Easy on the Stereotypes

For some reason, I have less patience with old people than I do with any other age group. Throw me in a room with 10 teens and I'll find a way to connect. Throw me in a room with 10 old heads and I'll find the exit.

I'm not even sure if it's because they tend to smell funky or if it's because some think they already have their way of life nailed but I'll be honest - I don't like old people.

Let me preface this post by saying I know there are old people who are friendly, patient, and open-minded. There's always an exception.

If you think about stereotypes, (which are created because there is a grain of truth in them), old people tend to be ignorant with technology, they tend to resent our generation for being more open-minded, and they tend to drive dangerously slow. The thing about stereotypes is that they're circumstantial. I've recently met some "old people" who aren't so old at all - they just might have more life, energy, and progression than I do.

Here's the point: fill in your own stereotype and avoid preconceived notions. I've learned there's people in New York who will hold a door for you, people in Texas who will admit they're not bigger or better than America, and old people who speed.

Just go easy on the stereotypes, KL.

No comments: